Independent Retailer Month: Get Involved!
Independent Retailer Month in the UK has 3 aims:
- Encouraging consumers to shop local, to celebrate their favourite independent retailers, to remind themselves of the fantastic shops on their door-steps, and to vote with their feet if they really do want keep their local, independent retailers open for business!
- Encouraging independent retailers to create a buzz in July - to increase consumer engagement, footfall and sales. To let everyone know that they are celebrating Independent Retailer Month and that they are proud of the contribution their small business makes.
- Encouraging suppliers and all those who serve the independent retail sector to spread the word. To support the retailers in delivering in-store events and promotions, to add to the excitement, remembering that Independent Retailers are often a critical route to market for a wide range of product designers and producers.
There are so many ways to get involved - we've shared some ideas below.
Ways to Get Involved...
There is an unending list of ways to get involved... Anything's possible - you're only limited by your imagination, so let it run wild! From fashion shows to pyjama parties, from tasting events to style make-overs. Ask your customers what they would enjoy... What would they tell their friends about and invite them along to?
What ever you do spread the word - take some video for our YouTube Channel
- complete the sentence 'I love this shop because...', share your pictures on our facebook page
, tell us what you are doing on the linkedin group
, check out our twitter stream via #IndieRetail
and add the hash tag to your tweets for all to see. You could even invite the local press and radio along to cover your story... the important thing is to make some noise, to get noticed and to celebrate independent retail throughout July!
Some ideas about how retailers can get involved...
Here are just a few ideas - you can also download our 'How to make the most out of Independent Retailer Month' guide from the Resources page
- Download the Independent Retailer Month logo and add to your window graphics or ecommerce pages.
- Send a newsletter to your shoppers announcing your participation in Independent Retailer Month and share details of any activities / promotions / events you will be hosting
- Contact local media and announce your involvement in Independent Retailer Month, let them know what's going on - you can even invite them along!
- Engage your local Chamber of Commerce / FSB / BIDs / Town Centre Manager / Other trade associations and ask them to help support the program, including as many local businesses as possible
- 'Like' us on our facebook page and share your images and news on our wall.
- 'Follow' us twitter via @IndieRetailUK so we can retweet your news and spread the word about what you'll be doing to celebrate Independent Retailer Month
Local shoppers and consumers can also get involved...
You can encourage your customers and people in your local community to support the campaign as follows:
- Encourage them to pledge to shop locally (as much as practical) for the month of July to support their local independent retailers
- Searh for all their local independent shops on our independent shops directory.
- Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to find out whats happening in their area
- Join the fun and attend the activities / promotions / events
- Tell their friends to support the campaign too!
And your suppliers can also get involved!
Let's face it, Independent Retail is a critical route to market for many smaller brands. As a sector, Independent retailers spend a huge amount on services too... so it stands to reason your suppliers should want to support you! Here are some ideas as to how:
- Product Suppliers: Support your independent retail clients with promotions, visual merchandising, window features to really make a WOW of their stores in July (and to draw attention to YOUR products!)
- Service Providers: Help your local retailers in whatever way you can - perhaps providing resources, supporting with local PR, supporting with providing window posters / car stickers - whatever you can do to enable them to reach out to more consumers!
Sign up for our Newsletter
Register for the newsletter from Independent Retailer Month UK to find out what's happening across the UK and how you can get involved!
All fields are required
Finally, how local press and media can get involved...
Press and media can support the independent retail businesses in their community by spreading the word about what Independent Retailer Month events, activities and promotions are happening and keeping consumers up to date as to what to look forward to in their local area throughout July. Please also see our press and media page